Entering Germany

The first step

One of your first steps should be to look into the entrance (visa) requirements for traveling to Germany that apply to your personal situation. In principle, every international candidate requires a visa to enter and stay in Germany. However, the type of visa required will depend on your country of origin. The following section provides information about which entry requirements are applicable to which group of countries, about the visas accepted for studies at Heidelberg University and about residence permits for Germany. Another important issue dealt with in these sections is the proof of sufficient financial resources (Finanzierungsnachweis), which is often a vital prerequisite for receiving a visa.

Citizens of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA)

If you are a citizen of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), your personal identification card (or comparable proof of identity) is sufficient for entry into Germany. Please be aware, however, that to stay for a longer period in Germany, you also need to have your passport with you.

Special regulations for citizens of particular countries

Citizens of the countries listed below can enter Germany and stay for a period of three months without a visa. For a stay of longer than three months, citizens of these countries must, however, apply for a residence permit. The countries in this group are Andorra, Australia, Canada, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, San Marino, Switzerland and the United States of America.

Citizens of all other countries
Citizens of other countries are required to possess a visa in order to enter Germany. This may be, for example, an applicant visa (Visum zur Studienbewerbung) or a student training visa (Visum zur Promotion).